United States Department of State



Travel Resources

Emergency Information

  • U.S. Citizen Travelers: Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and be located in an emergency.
  • In Case of an Emergency Overseas: Please call 1 (888) 407-4747 (U.S. and Canada) or 1 (202) 501-4444 (overseas) or contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Travel Advisories: As a first step in planning any trip abroad, check the Travel Advisories for your intended destination.

Emergency Travel Resources

Our highest priority is to protect the lives and interests of U.S. citizens overseas. We do this through routine and emergency services to Americans at our embassies and consulates around the world. Below are links to frequently visited pages on our travel website, travel.state.gov.

Passport and American flag [Shutterstock]
silhouette of mother, father and daughter with luggage standing near window in airport [Shutterstock]
Open hand raised, Child Abduction sign painted, multi purpose concept - isolated on white background [Shutterstock]
International Parental Child Abduction



Americans Abroad

Lost or Stolen Passport: What you need to do if your passport is lost or stolen while traveling abroad.

Victims of Crime: We support victims overseas and in the United States.

Medical Emergencies: The availability and quality of medical services available can vary greatly depending on your location; contact the nearest embassy or consulate for assistance.

Crisis Situations: Whether traveling or living outside of the United States, learn how to prepare yourself for a potential crisis.

Financial Assistance: U.S. citizens who need money for an emergency abroad should contact the nearest embassy or consulate.


Family Members

Death Abroad: We can help when a U.S. citizen dies abroad.

Sending Money: Need to send money for an emergency to a U.S. citizen outside the United States? We can help.

Locating a Loved One: If you are worried that your loved one was affected by a crisis, there are various ways to try to get in touch – and stay in touch.


International Parental Child Abduction

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP): This program allows our Office of Children’s Issues to contact the enrolling parent(s) or legal guardians(s) to verify whether the parental consent requirement for minor passport issuance has been met when a child’s passport application is submitted.

Stopping an Abduction in Progress: If your child is being abducted by a parent, legal guardian, or someone acting on their behalf, contact us immediately.

Abducted Children: Learn how we can help if your child has been abducted by a parent, a guardian, or someone acting on their behalf and taken to another country.


Traveling Abroad: What You Need

Preparing for a
Trip Abroad

Documents for
U.S. Citizens

Documents for
Foreign Citizens

U.S. Government Resources


More Travel Resources




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *