COVID-19 is the illness caused by a novel, or new, coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China, in late 2019. The virus is SARS-Co-V-2, and the disease the virus causes, coronavirus disease 2019, is abbreviated as COVID-19.
Public health officials are monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak, which is a public health emergency and on March 11 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Misinformation, rumors and the rapidly changing nature of the outbreak are big problems, so APHA and the entire public health community are working overtime to ensure you have the facts.
We are urging the public health community to share science-based information with the public and are speaking out for outbreak response funding and support.
- News of president and first lady testing positive for COVID-19 reminds us to remain vigilant (APHA news release)
- Public health ramps up for COVID-19 vaccination campaign (The Nation’s Health)
- COVID-19 killing front-line health workers, especially people of color (The Nation’s Health)
- Rethinking US policies and practices at 200,000 COVID-19 deaths (APHA news release)
- New COVID-19 testing advice could endanger lives (APHA news release)
- On the ground in battle against COVID-19 (The Nation’s Health)
- Essential workers facing higher risks during COVID-19 outbreak (The Nation’s Health)
- Letter to USDA requesting an extension to nutrition waivers to ensure access to healthy meals
- Letter to Vice President Pence requesting a reversal of the change in CDC testing guidelines for asymptomatic individuals who were exposed to COVID-19
- Assessing Legal Responses to COVID-19 (APHA-sponsored report)
- Help find a vaccine for COVID-19 (Public Health Newswire)
- Tell your members of Congress to prioritize public health in legislation to combat COVID-19 (APHA action alert)
- COVID-19 Conversations: An APHA/National Academy of Medicine webinar series
- Letter in support of AHRQ funding for COVID-19 response
- COVID-19 in Corrections Data Transparency Act (APHA-endorsed legislation)
- Stop the spread and show you care: Wear a mask to protect others from COVID-19 (APHA news release)
- Essential information for US state and counties to publicly report (joint COVID-19 indicators report)
- Letter to House and Senate leaders urging investments in public health infrastructure and clean energy and clean transportation initiatives in future COVID-19 recovery stimulus legislation
- Public health professionals are heroes who deserve our support and gratitude, not intimidation and threats (APHA, American College of Preventive Medicine, American Association of Public Health Physicians)
- American Journal of Public Health July issue: COVID-19: WE’RE NOT ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
- “Everybody should recognize that their second job is public health” (TED Talk with APHA Executive Director Georges Benjamin)
- Ensuring health equity during the COVID-19 pandemic: the role of public health infrastructure (Georges Benjamin in Pan American Journal of Public Health)
- Get Ready Mailbag: Can we go back outside already?!
- Coronavirus: How to protect yourself from COVID-19 (tips and resources to share with your friends, family and community)
- Public Health Newswire post series
- COVID-19 and Equity (new APHA webpage)
- American Journal of Public Health COVID-19 resource page
- Statement on physical distancing guidelines (PDF)
- Legislative Response to COVID-19 (PDF, APHA summary)
- Letter from more than 1,000 organizations and individuals urging the Trump administration to reverse course and continue funding the World Health Organization
- Countering the “infodemic” of misinformation (highlights of APHA media coverage)
MORE APHA ADVOCACY AND RESOURCES
THE LATEST GUIDANCE